Saturday, September 3, 2011

Lord, make it stop!

An entire month without rain was a bit much, especially in Louisiana where the annual rainfall is 64 inches. Only Mobile, Ala., and Pensacola, Fla., get more precipitation. Even my St. Aug grass was turning brown.

When I tried to go for a swim in Audubon pool Friday, a sign on the gate noted: Pool closed until further notice due to low water pressure. I bet the pressure's back up now!

After listening to the flag flapping crazily in violent gusts of wind last night, I put a slicker over my nightgown and took it off the front-porch pole. In the middle of the night, I went outside wearing the slicker again, climbed up a step stool and removed the wind chimes, which were driving me (and probably the neighbors) batty.

Several weather alerts had registered on my mobile phone this morning, including tornado warnings. When I checked online, a warning advised me to go to the lowest part of the house and stay there 'till 10 p.m. I really didn't care to sit in the bathtub all day, so blocked out that message. So far, no twisters.

The news this morning predicted 20 inches of rain. That's a third of our annual rainfall in one weekend? Water in the street was up to the chassis at 8 a.m.  The Internet and A/C are still working.

I noted that Southern Jefferson Parish is being evacuated - that would be lowlands closer to the Gulf.

Thought I might make it to Walgreens around the corner or the bank, assuming they're open, but then another blast of rain hit. Guess those errands can wait! Winn-Dixie was crowded yesterday and the checkout clerks exhausted. Bottled water was almost sold out. We all got through the lines and planned for a long weekend of TV, books and cooking.

Lee is just a tropical storm, not a hurricane #1, 2, 3 or 4.  New York and Vermont experienced a one. Katrina was category three. That gives you some idea of what's in store with increased global warming.

So much for the weekend trip to the beach. If I can slog over to the strip mall, it'll be an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment