Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Let the parading begin!

I wake Mardi Gras morning like a kid on Christmas morning. What will Santa bring?

Happy to hear the birds singing and see the sun out, I'm ready to plot my course for the day. Doors are slamming and there's activity outside. The Zulu parade begins downtown at 8 a.m. St. Anne's starts early, too, but progresses very slowly through the Bywater, Marigny and French Quarter, so there's plenty of time.

Even before getting out of bed, I hear music. There are marchers coming down the street. It is the same walking krewe I saw practicing last week, the Lyons Carnival Club, meandering down Annunciation.

The entire Singh family, from Mr. Singh down to the baby, are at the curb, appreciating the parade. Who knows who these guys are and why they do it, but how fun to live along a parade route where they come to me, still wearing my robe.

My friend Judith calls on her cell phone. She's watching Zulu, but wants to see my costume. Hurry up!

Guest chairs and a note, saying, "meet at the parade route"

No comments:

Post a Comment