Thursday, September 13, 2012

Welcome to the neighborhood

The weather cooled down last weekend and I took my first walk around the new 'hood.

Some of the houses are very nicely kept and other places look like they were under water a short time ago.


House with FEMA trailer




I saw one house still with a FEMA trailer in the yard. Maybe the owners weren't living in the house at all.




Starting along the top of the levee, I walked with a regular who said he'd been taking this tour since he was a boy. I sat on a bench for a while and contemplated my life. I could hear roosters crowing behind one of the houses.


So many people have told me how much they loved this area. The river is part of it. The isolation has to be a factor. We're cut off. I keep getting caught by the drawbridge that lets boats pass through the Industrial Canal. You just have to wait - patiently.

I chatted with people as I walked around. They congratulated me on my new home and welcomed me to the neighborhood.

I know that I will see them again and that they'll remember me. That's something.
House with mural and escaping dog

No comments:

Post a Comment