Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fall is in the air

Every time I think I have given up jogging for good, the temperature drops and I'm eager to go out for a run again. I passed a beagle today, bounding through the grass, ears flapping, feeling like a puppy.


And I actually sprinted around Audubon Park, easily passing a couple of other runners. Who thought I could do that again?

Fall arrived today. The air temperature dropped more than 10 degrees, got down into the 60s, there was a pleasant breeze and everyone was giddy. All of a sudden, we had energy again.

At the college where I work, students sat inside the gazebo on the lawn, socializing and maybe studying. I even noticed one young man in the courtyard, meditating in the lotus position - without sweat pouring off his brow.

The coolness made us all believe again in a kinder God. Hurricane season is almost over and none has come our way. The plants aren't shriveled up at the end of the day. We don't have to trudge from one place to another, hiding under floppy hats and cringing from the burning sun. We're skipping through the sunshine with delight.

Today was the designated day for a pumpkin shopping trip to Whole Foods, so I took my elderly neighbor to pick out three for his porch. Pumpkins are a sure sign that fall is definitely here.

Everyone was enjoying the weather.
This is the way it feels every October, following three or more months of oppressive heat. We are all younger, lighter and more optimistic. Yeah, autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment